Konza National Data Center and Smart City facilities project is being implemented by the Ministry of ICT through Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KoTDA). The project is being executed as a priority for Phase I of Konza Technopolis implementation that will ensure that Konza is able to carry out the core functions of a smart city. In addition, it will be a key enabler towards Kenya’s digital economy and is modelled to support data, voice, video, services, systems and applications. The main components of this project are:
- The design and construction of Tier III Konza National Data Center.
- Design and construction of a Disaster Recovery Data Center
- design and implementation of backbone optical fibre network and fibre routing for Konza Phase 1. This will comprise optical fibre and 3Optical Line Termination (OLT) sites. It will encompass providing access to each building of Konza Phase 1.
- Provision of Wi-Fi access points to be positioned on streetlights and buildings to support implementation of smart city services
- Design and implementation of Konza Phase 1 Smart City services and facilities
The project commenced on April 2019 and will be implemented for a period of 2 years. The current status:
- Completion of design for Konza National Data Center
- Contractor mobilization ongoing
Artistic Impression of Konza National Data Center